Saturday, August 21, 2010

Mokume-Kami


A few years ago at the Yuma Symposium I had the opportunity to learn how to make Mokume-Kami from James Thurman, the artist who developed this material. It is essentially a layered paper stone that can be cut, ground and polished much like soft wood. I've been hanging on to little pieces of uncut Mokume-Kami for years now, and have finally made some interesting jewelry with the material. I love the way its little topographical layers are exposed. I'm also a big fan of how easy it is to work with.

1 comment:

  1. I just came across this! Great to see what you made with it! Hope you come back to Yuma sometime. By the way, I've started calling it "Thurmanite" (it started as a joke...) since many people assumed I was teaching a traditional Japanese technique. Great piece you made!

    ReplyDelete